What have your Onalaska Teachers been doing to increase instructional rigor and work to ensure our students are prepared?
This year our teachers continue to work on improving their practice in the following areas:
Building Goals: Focusing on key indicators of success per the seven principles of successful schools.
Below are 7 indicators and our plan to implement
1) Principle 1: Leadership:
a. The principal keeps a focus on instructional improvement and student learning outcomes.
i. Classroom walks with focused feedback consistence with CEL cycle of inquiry.
1. All teachers will have an opportunity throughout the year to lead a teacher led professional development.
b. Staff consisting of the principal and teachers, and other key professional staff meets regularly (Twice a month or more for an hour each meeting).
c. Teachers are organized into teams/clusters to analyze instructional data to make classroom decisions for the purpose of increasing instructional practice and student learning (PLC groups)
i. PLC teams/clusters focus on intervention directly relating to increased instructional practice in classroom and focused intervention within core intervention times.
2) Principal 2: Staff evaluation and professional development:
i. Building level learning/data walks identifying instructional needs on a building level. Data is analyzed whole group and building instructional goals are established along with individual practices at the end of each meeting; utilizing the CEL instructional framework high yield success strategies. Goals are reported back to the Principal.
ii. Two cycles of inquiry are utilized, along with personal goals, to increase instructional practice through collaboration with the principal.
3) Principle 3: Student and School Success: Expanded time for student learning and teacher collaboration:
a. PLC time for data driven instruction and reflective practice
i. Create protocol books, feedback sheets aligned to the four questions of PLC as a building.
1. Utilize instructional framework and formative assessment as guide for strategies as a result of students not “getting it”
2. Increase enrichment rigor for those who do
ii. Target specific intervention through PLC and align to 7th period intervention.
4) Principle 4: Student and School Success: Rigorous, aligned instruction:
1. Implement the use of Pacing guided aligned to CCSS with the exception of Science who will implement NGSS along with GLE to continue to align to EOC.
ii. Implement CCSS within OHS teaching practices including cross curriculum with ELA and Math standards
iii. Some staff will align specific writing standards with rubrics as aligned to the ELA department.
iv. The other staff will encourage proper conventions from writing.
b. Utilize CEL framework with success indicators from building level goals
i. Continue to build fidelity of implementation of goals:
2. Teachers utilize student to student discourse as a teaching tool embedded within their daily and/or weekly lessons.
4. All Teachers create
a. Assessment Goals:
b. Entry task
c. Exit Slip
d. One individual assessment goal with success criteria
ii. Implement through teacher lead PD 16/17 goals
1. Quality of questioning to uncover misconceptions
2. Inclusion of success criteria and performance tasks aligned to learning targets
3. Self-Assessment of learning from students as connected to learning target
4. Collection systems of formative assessment data
iii. Ongoing goals as data suggests as a result of learning/data walks
5) Principle 5: Use of data for school improvement and instruction:
a. Leadership Team goal indicated above
b. PLC team goal indicated above
6) Principle 6: Safety, discipline, and social, emotional, and physical health:
i. Pre-teach classroom expectations first two weeks and as needed
ii. Utilize PBIS building initiatives
iii. All referrals acted on in a timely manner by principal
7) Principle 7: Family and community engagement:
b. Use of technology to inform community of school operations
c. Quarterly newsletter with school related events (16/17)
i. Posted on HS website
d. Open house 9/24
i. Invitation of parents to walk student schedule and listen to each teacher’s expectations and goals.
Principal Corner >